Using Qosium Probe
Qosium Probe is not directly operated as such since Qosium measurements are controlled fully by a measurement controller. However, there are certain operative functionalities, like license activation and launching, that are discussed in this section.
Qosium Probe needs a license to run. The license information is locally stored in a license file located in Probe’s installation folder. The license can be pre-activated, like, for example, in the academic license. In this case, Qosium usage can be started right after the installation.
In installation-limited licenses, each Qosium Probe needs to be activated online. The activation is carried out simply by using Kaitotek’s License server as follows:
- Verify that the device where Qosium Probe is installed has Internet access
- Open a measurement controller, like Qosium Scope, and connect Qosium Probe
- Qosium Probe will now activate itself at Kaitotek’s License server.
A successful activation is typically fast. There appears some information of the successful activation while the controller just connects the Probe as usual. If something goes wrong, error information is delivered via the controller. An activated Qosium Probe will be fixed to the device. However, the installation can also be moved to another device.
Once Qosium Probe has been parameterized, it is time to launch it. Typically, Qosium Probe is set to run as a system service. In this way, it always starts with the platform, being ready for measurements. This also has the advantage that running Qosium measurements does not require administrative rights in the platform.
Qosium Probe can also be run as a normal application. This can be useful in some special cases since Probe’s log window will be visible. Administrative rights, however, are needed when launching the Qosium Probe application.
The way of launching Qosium Probe is dependent on the platform. These are discussed in the following subsections:
If you have an installation-limited license, it is possible to transfer an activated Qosium Probe to another device. In practice, Qosium Probes can always be installed without limits, but in installation-limited license models, only a certain number of them can be in use. Thus, transferring Qosium Probe from one device to another is, in practice, transferring the license.
License transfer is carried out as follows:
- Verify that both of the devices have an Internet connection
- Go to the device from where the Qosium Probe is to be removed
- Open command line (with administrative rights in Windows)
- Start Qosium Probe with a special argument:
sudo QosiumProbe licunreg
- The given command will try to release the activated license. Check the printed log that did it succeed. If so, the license has been disactivated and the installation-right returned to the Kaitotek’s License server.
- Now go the device where the installation will be transferred to
- Install Qosium Probe there, if not already installed.
- Activate the Qosium Probe installation as explained earlier